Position: Director of Communications
Reporting to: IVI Executive Director
Location: Flexible. IVI supports virtual staff with current HQ in Alexandria, Virginia.
The Innovation and Value Initiative Foundation, Inc. (IVI) is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit organization advancing the science, practice, and use of value assessment in healthcare. IVI is working to raise the level of discussion regarding value in healthcare and find common ground in the approach to measuring value through research, methods development, and scientific communication and engagement. The U.S health system is diverse, complex, and ripe for innovation in the value space; we believe IVI is uniquely positioned to challenge outdated thinking and methods.
In support of this mission, IVI requires a Director of Communications. The Director of Communications will report to the IVI Executive Director and will lead the development and execution of IVI’s communications program. The Director of Communications will also manage internal and external teams and will have broad oversight for setting and maintaining IVI’s messaging and branding standards.
- Lead a partnership of the Executive Director, Chief Science Officer, and Board to develop and execute a sustainable communications plan for the organization, including the identification of key audiences, messages, and channels
- Directly manage the internal Scientific Communications, website, and content layout experts, as well as external communication teams contracted to provide specific services
- Manage the communications budget and vendor contracts
Messaging and Brand Management
- Partner with the Executive Director and Chief Science Officer to develop and deploy consistent messaging across all channels and platforms
- Develop new avenues for communicating IVI’s message and brand visually
- Draft content or outlines based on input from IVI staff
- Review, refine, and manage timelines, content, quality, and version control on products intended for public release, including press releases, social media, commentaries, web content, research briefs, full reports, RFPs, abstracts, etc.
- Facilitate revisions for accuracy, alignment with messaging, and consistent application of IVI’s visual branding standards
- Work closely with the Executive Director, Chief Science Officer, and Board to develop and implement government affairs objectives
- Cultivate and maintain professional relationships with government entities, public service groups, and other organizations that help further IVI’s interests
- Stay abreast of legislation and potential legislation that would affect policy around value assessment
Outreach and Other Support
- Develop press releases/pitches and maintain relevant press contacts for both earned media and commentaries
- Develop and maintain conference attendance opportunities and evaluate prioritize external publication and presentation opportunities; assist with the development of presentations, as needed
- Provide responsive support for IVI’s research projects, membership development efforts, and fund development
- Assess IVI’s current communications portfolio and its effectiveness in supporting organizational objectives; identify and recommend changes and additions to the program
- Develop and track metrics that support the implementation of the communications plan and allow for visibility into key stakeholder and audience trending
- Use those metrics to make refinements to the communications program on an ongoing basis
- Graduate level degree comparable years of experience in communications
- At least 5 years of experience as the leader of a communications team or department; proven experience with developing communication programs and overseeing their implementations
- Experience with healthcare communications highly desired; a background in non-profit, patient organization, or scientific organization communications a plus
- Experience managing a communications program budget, as well as overseeing the work of external vendors
- Experience developing — and ensuring consistency with — organizational messaging and branding standards
- Experience developing and tracking metrics to measure communication program performance
- A background in government affairs or public policy communications highly desired
- An entrepreneurial mindset and approach
- A flexible, enthusiastic, efficient, and diplomatic self-starter
- A commitment to customer service, both internally and externally
- Able to work both independently and as part of a small team
A competitive compensation package will be offered to attract an outstanding candidate.
For Questions or to Apply:
To learn more about IVI and its mission, please visit our website at www.thevalueinitiative.org. To apply, please send a cover letter and current resume (Microsoft Word format preferred) to email@example.com with the term “IVI Director of Communications in the subject line. The cover letter should outline how your experience fits the requirements of the position as this will be an important factor in considering your candidacy.
IVI is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer committed to inclusion and cultural diversity in the workplace. Employment selection and related decisions are made without regard to sex, race, color, age, disability, religion, national origin, sexual preference, genetic information, or any other protected class.