The goal of health care is to improve individuals’ health and well-being. At the same time, the healthcare system has a number of stakeholders in addition to patients – care providers, insurers, life science companies, employers, policymakers, and more. All must take the patient perspective into account.
For these reasons, IVI is committed to developing scientifically-rigorous, patient-centered value assessment tools. Our approach considers the most relevant possible forms of patient input and data and incorporates consistent methods for involving patient input from the early stages of research design.
Ultimately, a patient-centered approach to assessing value serves every stakeholder in the health care Marketplace. Providers can better meet the needs of their patients. Payers will compete more successfully by producing higher levels of patient satisfaction, and policy makers will benefit from Marketplace decisions that align more closely with value.
What We Believe
- Value assessment must reflect diversity in patient preferences and circumstance. Not all patients are the same. Patients differ in their individual characteristics, personal preferences, progression of illness, and response to treatments. Value assessments should account for this diversity in order to match the real-world diversity in patient preferences and clinical characteristics.
Only patients can provide the patient perspective. To understand factors that define value for patients, patients must be equal partners in developing approaches to value assessment and the research that it they are based on.
Patients need tools to help them judge the value of the treatments they use. No stakeholder can reliably judge what is valuable to another. Patients need salient information and tools to help them translate their own preferences and needs into value-based decisions. Rather than providing “top-down” estimates, economic assessments of healthcare goods and services should be seen as tools to educate and inform patients
How IVI is Bringing the Patient Viewpoint Forward
- Engage patients as partners. Although individual patients are best positioned to speak to the nuances of their treatment and what is important to them, organized patient groups are also well positioned to represent specific patient populations. IVI involves both patients and patient groups throughout its research and operations, from organizational decisions made by the Strategic Advisory Panel to development of tools such as the IVI-RA Value Tool.
Give patients an equal voice in value assessment. IVI’s Open-Source Value Project aims to give patients the opportunity for having an equal voice with other stakeholders in the development of platforms for modeling the value of treatments. (For more about the role of patients in developing the IVI-RA Value Tool, click here.)
- Advancing the science of measuring value to patients. The things that make a treatment more or less valuable to a patient – the chances that it will work for them, the side effects, the impact on daily life, and so on – are often left out of cost-effectiveness analysis and value assessment. In many cases, this is simply because patient-level data and scientific methods needed to include these important factors are not available. IVI is working to identify these determinants of value, advance the scientific debate, and to build rigorous scientific methods needed for including them in value assessments.
Principles of Patient Partnership
We believe it is critical that the patient viewpoint be taken into account when defining value and that patients are actively engaged in development of value assessment frameworks that could impact their health and wellbeing. To demonstrate IVI’s commitment to patient involvement and ensure that the patient perspective is represented in our work, IVI has developed five guiding principles of patient partnership:
Principle 1: IVI will involve multiple patient stakeholders in value assessment.
- Principle 2: IVI will employ robust methods to identify and involve patient stakeholders.
- Principle 3: IVI will partner with patient stakeholders at all stages of research.
- Principle 4: IVI will continuously evaluate and refine patient partnership action.
- Principle 5: IVI will commit resources for continuous patient engagement.
For detailed information, click the button below to view and download IVI’s Partnering with Patients (PwP) document.